Surf Survival Course
Surf Apnea is a dedicated surf survival course for surfers, kite-surfers and other water users who regularly find themselves in the surf zone. This course has been designed to equip students with the skills and abilities to handle hold-down situations.
The Surf Apnea course is open to healthy water users over 16 years of age. This 1-day course incorporates breath-hold techniques evolved for people who find themselves unwillingly holding their breath, theory, hold-down simulations and a multiple choice exam. On successful completion, students will be able to hold their breath for over 2 minutes and comfortably handle a 3-wave hold-down.
Price: R1450 – including international certification
Surf Apnea: R1450 | 1 Full Day
The course entails
– breathing theory and anatomy
– breath hold practice (before, during, after)
– breath hold scenarios specific to surfing (you won’t always have time to prepare for a breath hold when charging for a wave)
– the physical and mental aspects of breath hold – how to overcome the physical and mental barriers to confidently hold your breath
– training techniques to improve your breath hold and specifically CO2 tolerance (in water and on the beach) – this is a huge boost to your surfing and surf ability
– wipe out scenarios (in water practice, including how to handle these physically and mentally)
– certification exam
The course includes
Session 1: Freedive theory and physiology, breathing and breath hold practices for freediving & advanced breath hold techniques for surfers
Session 2: CO2 tolerance training – this is very specific to surfers to continue training after the course in an effort to improve your CO2 tolerance
Session 3: Wave hold simulation – mind over matter, putting into practice what you have learnt and giving you tools to keep training and improving your breath hold experience
Session 4: Certification exam and finish
The Surf Apnea course is a full-day, information packed and fun filled challenge. Sharing this with friends and surf buddies will make this even more fun!